Posted on Mar 10, 2014
According to the Insurance Information Institute, water damage is one of the most common and costly disasters affecting U.S. residences, accounting for billions of dollars in losses to homeowners and renters annually. Pennsylvania, especially Harrisburg, Camp Hill and other surrounding areas is not immune from these problems. However, consumers can protect themselves with the right amount and type of insurance coverage. Also, consumers can prevent problems from occurring by following some of the following tips:
Inside Your Home
- Inspect hoses and faucets. Check hoses leading to water heaters, dishwashers, washing machines and refrigerator ice makers annually. Replace those with cracks or leaks, and replace them all every five to seven years.
- Inspect showers and tubs. Check the seal and caulking around showers and tubs to make sure they are watertight.
- Shut off the water supply to the washing machine while away on vacation, and never leave the house while the washer or dishwasher is running.
- Know the location of the main water shut off valve in your home. A damaged hose or a burst pipe can send water racing into your home. By knowing where this valve is located and how to shut off the main water supply, you can save yourself time and money.
- Install an emergency pressure release valve in your plumbing system. This will protect against the increased pressure caused by freezing pipes and can help prevent your pipes from bursting.
- Check pipes. Look closely for cracks and leaks and have the pipes repaired immediately.
Outside Your Home
- Caulk and seal windows. Preventive maintenance will guard against water seepage.
- Inspect your roof. Look formissing, damaged, and aging shingles.
- Check your downspouts. Remove debris that may have accumulated in downspouts and rain gutters. Position downspouts so that they direct water away from the house.
- Check sprinklers and irrigation systems. Be sure sprinklers and irrigation systems are not damaging the walls and foundations of the house; turn off and drain outside faucets to protect against frozen pipes.
- Install gutter guards.Gutter guards are the device used to protect the clogging of the roof gutter so that the water from the roof may flow easily and accumulation of water does not take place on the roof but away from the house.
If you have suffered auto collision due to the negligence or reckless conduct of another person or company, our Harrisburg car accident attorneys are perfect to be your legal representatives. Fill out the online contact information box on this website, or call us today at 717-888-8888 or (717) 888-8888 toll-free. You can schedule a free, confidential case review and also order a FREE copy of our informative brochure, Who Pays Your Bills When You Are Injured in an Automobile Accident?
Schmidt Kramer provides personal injury representation for clients throughout central Pennsylvania, including Dauphin County, Cumberland County, Snyder County, Northumberland County, Lebanon County, Lancaster County and Juniata County. Call us today to learn how we can get you the maximum available compensation for the injury done to you.