Call Now! Call Now!
(717) 888-8888

Tips If You Had Flooding In Your Pennsylvania Basement Last Week

With some areas receiving almost 10 inches of rain last week, many people in Central Pennsylvania had flooded basement. If you have a flooded basement. Now what? Here is a list of ten tips that may help you now. Also, you should feel free to call and experienced Pennsylvania insurance lawyer with any questions.

Call your homeowners insurance company – This is the first thing any homeowner should do after flooding, no matter its extent. One phone call will get a claim in the insurance company’s system and help ease your worries. During the call, your insurance company will inform you of the type of insurance you have, and how much coverage your plan offers for this situation.

Call a mitigation company – By looking at the amount of flooding, you’ll be able to tell how severe your flooding damage is. If you doubt that you’re able to remove all the water by yourself, call a mitigation company immediately. If you do choose to remove the water yourself, a professional company should take a look at the remaining water to ensure you’re protected against an improperly dried out basement. Before your chosen mitigation company arrives, make sure they’ve got the relevant certifications as many people call themselves experts, but few actually are.

Return to the flooded area to move out non-electrical contents – Wood furniture will wick water up from the carpet and rot out the legs and/or base. If the items are too big to be moved, help minimize damage by putting plastic or some other impermeable material between the water and the wood. Even the slightest moisture in carpet will completely ruin your furniture.

If any electrical items, such as stereos, televisions, and lamps have been touched by water, leave the items alone. Touching a water-damaged electrical item can cause electrocution, shock, or start a fire.

Start to immediately begin circulating air – This can be done by turning on fans and running a dehumidifier. Other ways to boost air circulation include opening doors, closets, and windows, if possible. Also, if your home has central air conditioning, leave the air conditioner running at a low temperature, as this will allow moisture to be pulled out of the room.

Assess the home’s structure for insurance purposes – Determine where the water came in, as this may assist with insurance questions. Also, check your walls for any damage. Cinder block or brick walls can be cleaned with a bleach solution to prevent mold, but damp or wet drywall is at increased risk for mold growth. If the damage is bad, your mitigation company may have to discard your drywall.

Examine your water heater’s pilot light – Although the water heater may not seem like it can be easily damaged, excess water can snuff out the water heater’s pilot light.

Remain calm and try to be kind to your adjuster –  It is incredibly hard to stay calm while your house, and possibly its contents, are damaged by flooding but keeping cool is important.

Try to trust your adjuster, at least initially. Then if not call an attorney.

Remove other odors – The odor of a flood can not only cause unpleasant smells that tend to linger./p>

Consult a professional to prevent flooding in the future – A home repair company or plumber can determine the cause of the flooding, as there is a strong possibility you can prevent future flooding and seepage.=

If you, or a loved one, are injured in a Pennsylvania car accident because of another driver or company who may have been driving distracted or caused a Pennsylvania wrongful death, contact an experienced Central Pennsylvania car accident lawyer at Schmidt Kramer.  We can answer any questions or concerns you have about a Central Pennsylvania injury accident in Harrisburg, Carlisle, Lancaster, Camp Hill, Hershey, Lebanon and all of Pennsylvania.

The toll-free number is (717) 888-8888 or 717-888-8888 and the case evaluation is free.

Alternatively, you may wish to download a free copy of our book Who Pays the Bills When You Are Injured in an Automobile Accident? for additional information.