Tips To Walking Safely In Icy Conditions To Avoid A Pennsylvania Slip And Fall
Posted Scott B. Cooper on Dec 09, 2014 in Personal Injury
Winter is here, at least not officially. The weather today in Harrisburg is mainly rain but in surrounding communities there is ice and snow. Many people will slip and fall and end up needing a Harrisburg personal injury. However, there are some ways you can reduce the risk of a injury accident if you go out in icy conditions.
If you have to go out in icy conditions, you should:
- think about the best route to your destination and plan on taking a little extra time to get there
- avoid rushing or taking shortcuts over areas where snow or ice removal is incomplete
- select appropriate footwear - flat footwear with rubber soles provides better traction on ice and snow than leather-soled or high-heeled shoes
- use handrails where you can
- take small steps to keep your center of balance under you
- avoid carrying lots of heavy shopping bags, especially on steps
- walk slowly and never run on icy ground
- keep both hands free for balance, rather than in your pockets
- always be aware of your surroundings
- be particularly careful getting into and out of vehicles - and hold on to the vehicle for support
- keep paths clear of debris, water, ice and snow
- be sure to use floor mats when entering a building to remove moisture from the soles of your shoes - this will help protect you, as well as others who follow, from having to walk on wet or slippery surfaces
If you, or a loved one, are injured in a Pennsylvania accident or a loved one is killed in a Pennsylvania wrongful death, contact an experienced Central Pennsylvania accident lawyer at Schmidt Kramer. We can answer any questions or concerns you have about a Central Pennsylvania injury accident in Lancaster, Enola, Harrisburg, Camp Hill, Hershey, Lebanon and all of Pennsylvania.
The toll-free number is 888-476-0807 or 717-888-8888 and the case evaluation is free. Alternatively, you may wish to download a free copy of our book Who Pays the Bills When You Are Injured in an Automobile Accident? for additional information.