Call Now! Call Now!
(717) 888-8888

Be Sure To Keep Car Insurance Info Current

The reason is because the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) and the state Insurance Department want to remind motorists to contact PennDOT if they change their vehicle insurance provider.  As vehicle owners – not insurance providers – they are responsible for reporting new policy information to the department.

“People may assume that when they start a new vehicle insurance policy, the new company notifies us that they’re covered. That is not the case,” PennDOT Deputy Secretary for Safety Administration Kurt Myers said. “We urge our customers to provide updated insurance information to PennDOT when requested to avoid any penalties, such as registration suspension.”

Drivers must purchase auto insurance – or maintain “financial responsibility” – in order to legally drive in Pennsylvania. Auto insurance protects owners against financial loss in the event of an accident by paying for damages to their own car or to another person’s property.

When PennDOT receives notification from an insurance company that an individual’s insurance has been cancelled, PennDOT sends a letter to the individual requesting verification that a new insurance policy is in place. By law, if an individual does not respond to the letter providing current insurance information, PennDOT is required to administer a three-month vehicle-registration suspension.

If a suspension occurs, the vehicle owner must surrender the vehicle’s registration plate to PennDOT in order to begin the suspension. The owner will be required to provide current proof of insurance to the department and pay a $50 fee in order to have the vehicle registration restored once the suspension has been served.

For more information on insurance requirements, visit and visit the “Vehicle Insurance Information” section in the motor vehicle information center.

To learn more about auto insurance, go to and click on “Types of Coverage” on the left-hand navigation.

If you have any questions about your Pennsylvania car accident or Pennsylvania car insurance, contact our Central Pa injury lawyers today.

If a loved one has been injured or killed in a Harrisburg car accident because of another driver or company who may have been driving distracted, contact an experienced wrongful death lawyer and Central Pennsylvania motorcycle accident lawyer at Schmidt Kramer.

We can answer any questions or concerns you have about a Harrisburg injury car accident in Carlisle, Middletown, Lancaster, Elizabethtown, Hershey, Harrisburg, Lebanon and all of Pennsylvania.

The toll-free number is (717) 888-8888 and the case evaluation is free.

Alternatively, you may wish to download a free copy of our book Vital Information For Your Financial Recovery After A Pennsylvania Vehicle Crash for additional information.