Call Now! Call Now!
(717) 888-8888

What if I Discover an Injury Long After a Car Accident?

medical checkup after an accidentInjuries from car accidents are not always immediately apparent, and may be discovered long after the accident takes place. While delayed injuries from car accidents can be more difficult to prove, you can still file a claim seeking compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

For assistance with your delayed car accident injury claim, the Harrisburg car accident lawyers of Schmidt Kramer are ready to help. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation today and learn what legal options are available in your case.

See Your Doctor

You should always see a doctor within 72 hours of an accident, even if you feel fine. Your physician will examine you, run diagnostic tests and diagnose any injuries related to the accident. He or she will also document the fact that you were in an accident.

If you do not see a doctor right after the accident and your injuries do not present until later, you should see your doctor as soon as you experience or notice the injury. Explain why you did not see the doctor immediately.

Some symptoms are commonly delayed and may not present until well after the accident occurs, including:

  • Headaches
  • Back pain
  • Neck or shoulder pain
  • Abdominal pain
  • Numbness or tingling throughout the body
  • Emotional distress

In some cases, you may have been treated for injuries after the accident. Following doctor’s orders – such as taking pain medicine for other injuries – may have masked the symptoms of the specific injury you experience now.

A doctor who treats car accident victims will be able to diagnose the delayed injury and connect it to your car accident so that you may pursue compensation.

Follow All of Your Doctor’s Orders

It is important that you follow all of your doctor’s orders for your car accident injury. Not only will doing so help you recuperate more quickly, but it will also help ensure that your actions do not contribute to the worsening of your condition.

If you fail to follow doctor’s orders, insurance companies may dispute your car accident injury claim. Adjusters may try to say that not following the doctor’s orders made your condition worse, therefore your injury is your fault and they are not liable.

Why Is a Lawyer Important?

If you experience a delayed injury after a car accident, you should seek a qualified lawyer immediately who can help you file your injury claim. An experienced personal injury lawyer in Harrisburg will work to prove that your delayed injuries were caused by the original accident, and he or she can help you recover the compensation you deserve.

Car accident injury claims must be filed within a certain timeframe, known as the statute of limitations. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations for car accident claims is two years from the date of the accident.

Delayed injuries take longer to discover, diagnose and fully treat. You may be cutting it close with the statute of limitations to get your claim filed. A skilled attorney will make sure your claim is filed in time so that you do not forfeit your chance to recover compensation for your injuries.

Your attorney will work to ensure you receive a fair settlement from the insurance company. Your attorney will use medical experts and your medical records to determine if you have reached maximum medical improvement of your injuries, or if you need to pursue compensation for future medical costs that will arise from your accident injuries.

If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, your attorney can file a lawsuit in court. You may take your case to trial to resolve your case and ask for the damages you deserve for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Contact a Car Accident Lawyer for Help

If you discover a car accident injury even long after the accident occurred, our car accident attorneys at Schmidt Kramer are here to help. We will review your case and help you pursue the compensation you are rightfully owed.

Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today and learn what legal options are available in your situation. There are no upfront fees when working with our firm, and payment is only due if we help you recover compensation.

Call (717) 888-8888 or fill out our Free Case Review form now.