2020 was a year with a lot of bad news, but there is some good news about last year. For example, data from the Pennsylvania court system shows the number of distracted driving citations was down 47 percent compared to 2019. This may indicate there was less distracted driving in 2020 compared to the previous year.
It is also worth noting the total number of traffic citations for any offenses was down 33 percent in 2020 compared to the year before.
Pennsylvania allows distracted driving citations to be issued for the following actions:
- Wearing headphones while you are driving
- Using handheld mobile devices if driving a commercial vehicle
- Texting (reading, writing or sending a text message) while you are driving
The website for the Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania has an infographic highlighting these and other statistics related to distracted driving citations in the state:
- Most citations are given out between 10 a.m. and noon
- 11 percent of these citations were issued in May 2020, which is the month with the most citations issued for the whole year
- 34 percent of those cited for distracted driving were in their 20s
- More than 70 percent of those who received citations were male
The website also has a table showing distracted driving citations by county from 2016 through 2020. In that time, Montgomery had the highest percent of distracted driving citations (11.16 percent). Montgomery County led the state in distracted driving citations each year between 2016 and 2019:
- 2016: 379 citations
- 2017: 620 citations
- 2018: 577 citations
- 2019: 443 citations
Dauphin County had 106 citations last year, which was the fifth-most in the state. Allegheny County had the most with 197 while Montgomery was close behind at 188.
Injured in a Distracted Driving Crash? Call Schmidt Kramer Today
Our firm has a proven track record of recovering compensation for those injured in car crashes and other accidents. Our firm has obtained more than $100 million in compensation on behalf of our clients.
The initial consultation is free and there is no risk because there is no obligation to hire our firm. If we validate your claim, we are prepared to guide you throughout the process. Distracted driving can be difficult to prove, which is why you may greatly benefit from hiring an experienced Harrisburg auto accident lawyer.
Need legal help? Call Schmidt Kramer. Ph: (717) 888-8888