Call Now! Call Now!
(717) 888-8888

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Claims For Social Security Disability

You started noticing some tingling and numbness in your pointer and middle fingers, but it never really bothered you until you were skiing in the Poconos and couldn’t hold onto your poles. You went to the doctor when you came home to Lancaster and were diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).

Over time, the numbness and pain became unbearable and you found yourself unable to work quite frequently. Now, you are considering filing for Social Security. Although receiving disability benefits for the condition isn’t unheard of, getting them is difficult.

Why You Can Expect Trouble When Filing for Social Security Benefits for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Although carpal tunnel syndrome is common, Social Security isn’t often awarded to those suffering from it. Here’s why:

  • No impairment listing exists. There isn’t a Social Security impairment listing for carpal tunnel syndrome, which means those who have it won’t automatically qualify for benefits. However, an impairment listing for nerve damage is present, so if your CTS has caused nerve damage, you could possibly receive Social Security for that. Unfortunately, meeting the requirements of the listing for peripheral neuropathy is quite difficult.
  • The degree of pain often isn’t enough. Doctors, specialists, and Social Security claims examiners quite often don’t believe the pain caused by CTS is enough to prevent someone from working. Although a job that requires constant use of the fingers and wrists, such as typing, may not be ideal, another occupation may be available.

We May Be Able to Help

The attorneys of Schmidt Kramer know that you are suffering because of your carpal tunnel syndrome, and we want to help you receive the Social Security Disability benefits you may be entitled to. As part of doing all we can for you, we will consult with your doctors and other medical professionals to show Social Security what it needs in order to increase your chances of receiving the benefits.

Contact us today and speak to an experienced attorney about your situation, call (717) 888-8888.

Related Links: