Q: Is there any way to expedite Social Security Disability benefits for military personnel?
Social Security Disability is a government program that provides financial benefits for those disabled due to a serious illness or injury. The application and approval process can take months. However, the Social Security Administration has put in place a special process to expedite processing for military service personnel disabled while on active military service on or after October 1, 2001.
Military service personnel in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard are eligible for the expedited processing. They must still meet all of the eligibility requirements for the program.
When military personnel apply for Social Security Disability, they must do the following in order to receive expedited application processing:
- Inform the Social Security representative that the disability occurred during active military duty.
- Provide the Social Security office with a list of doctors who have treated the injury or illness.
- Provide the address of the military facility where personnel records are stored.
- Notify the Social Security office of any changes in doctors, hospitals or outpatient clinics.
- Notify the Social Security office of address changes.
Social Security Disability applications for military personnel receive special handling, tracking and monitoring to ensure they are processed quickly. Although processing may be expedited, many military Social Security Disability claims are denied. The appeals process is long and complicated. Statistics show that individuals who have a Social Security Disability attorney have a better chance of winning their case.Have you been disabled due to a serious illness or injury sustained while on active military duty? If the Social Security Administration has denied your disability benefit application, contact us today. One of our Carlisle Social Security Disability lawyers at Schmidt Kramer will give you a free consultation. Call us at 888-476-0807.