You are one of the hard-working people that keeps the state of Pennsylvania as great as it is. Just like every other day, you head to work and start moving heavy boxes out of the warehouse. However, something happens and now you’re on the ground experiencing back pain. Getting injured on the job is often unpreventable, but a few risk factors exist that can increase your chances of needing workers’ compensation.
Common Risk Factors
- Gender – Men between the ages of 30 and 50 are more likely to experience herniated discs.
- Weight – Being overweight can increase your chances of having disc problems.
- Improper lifting – Using your back muscles instead of your leg muscles may cause a disc issues. Twisting when you lift can also result in problems.
- Frequent driving – Staying seated for long periods of time, combined with the vibrations from your vehicle, can put you at risk for suffering from a painful herniated disc.
- Repetitive activities – Working at a job that constantly puts pressure on your spine can cause problems. For example, lifting, bending, pulling, or twisting on a daily basis can increase your chance of experiencing a problem.
- Sedentary lifestyle – Not staying active or exercising could make you more prone to having a disc problem.
- Smoking – Smoking is believed to withhold oxygen from the discs, and cause more rapid degeneration.
Herniated discs are painful and can cause you to miss out on work. Workers’ compensation may provide the financial help you need to pay your bills and provide for your family. Speak with the lawyers of Schmidt Kramer today to find out how we have helped many just like you get the assistance they needed.
If you know someone who was hurt on the job, we encourage you to share this information with him or her.