The first frost has not hit yet but it will come soon, maybe as early as this week. We are almost at peak season in south central Pa for viewing leaves and it is almost time to prepare your home for Winter. Here are some tips from AMICA and the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) on how you can prepare your home for winter:
- Doing a walk around your home to look for anything which needs to be secured or repaired before winter. This includes shingles, window panes, gutters, etc.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Remove broken tree limbs and branches from the rook and property.
- Remove screens and replace them with storm windows.
- Make sure all windows are properly sealed to prevent cold air from getting into the home.
- Drain garden hoses, bring them inside and turn off the water to outside faucets.
- Ventilate the attic to make sure temperature is reduced in the roof to prevent ice dams.
- Caulk any cracks and holes in outside walls.
- Drain the water system and have someone check on and monitor your home and basement if you will be leaving your home for an extended length of time.
- Make sure your shovels, ice scrapers, sand and ice melt are stocked up.
These few tips can help prevent a lot of aggravation over the winter.
If you or a loved one are seriously injured because the driver of a car, motorcycle, bus, or truck was inattentive, drinking, texting or sleeping while driving, contact a lawyer at Schmidt Kramer We can answer any questions or concerns you have about accidents in South Central Pennsylvania. For a free case evaluation, call us toll-free at (888) 476-0807 or dial 8 at 717-888-8888. Alternatively, you may wish to download a free copy of our book Who Pays the Bills When You Are Injured in an Automobile Accident? for additional information.