Tips To Avoid Being Carjacked Or From Having Your Car Stolen
Most people are careful when driving. However, if you encounter a dangerous situation where you may be carjacked or the car stolen here are some useful tips:
To minimize the danger of being carjacked:
- First, think of saving your life. Only then, think of your car and what's in it.
- If another car bumps your car, stay inside with the windows shut and the door locked and drive to the nearest police or fire station.
- Don’t stop at isolated pay phones, cash machines or newspaper machines.
- Stay alert to people lurking near or moving toward your parked car.
- Always keep the windows of your car shut and doors locked, whether you’re in or out of your car.
- Park only in well-lighted areas.
To prevent your car from being stolen:
- Keep your registration card in your wallet, not your glove compartment.
- Use paint or an indelible marker to put the vehicle identification number (VIN) under the engine hood and trunk lid and on the battery.
- Leave personal property in the trunk.
- Keep your car in a garage and lock the garage door.
- Use a security device like a steering wheel lock or a gear shift column lock.
If your car is stolen, have the following information ready to give to the police:
- The year, make, model and color of the car.
- The approximate time the car was stolen.
- A description of anyone you may have seen loitering around your car before it was stolen.
- The names of any witnesses.
If a loved one has been injured or killed in a Harrisburg car accident because of another driver or company who may have been driving distracted, contact an experienced wrongful death lawyer and Central Pennsylvania motorcycle accident lawyer at Schmidt Kramer. We can answer any questions or concerns you have about a Harrisburg injury accident in Carlisle, Middletown, Lancaster, Elizabethtown, Hershey, Harrisburg, Lebanon and all of Pennsylvania.
The toll-free number is 888-476-0807 or 717-888-8888 and the case evaluation is free.
Alternatively, you may wish to download a free copy of our book Vital Information For Your Financial Recovery After A Pennsylvania Vehicle Crash for additional information.