12 Steps to Take After a Harrisburg Car Accident
Many drivers will get into a car accident at some point during their driving career. Although most drivers strive to drive carefully and defensively, even the best drivers can make mistakes. In addition, as we all know, there are many reckless and aggressive drivers on the road. Regardless of the circumstances, getting in a car accident is a scary and upsetting experience and can cause serious long-term medical and financial problems.
While you may not be able to prevent a car accident from occurring, you can follow some simple steps to protect yourself in the aftermath of a Harrisburg car crash:
- Take a deep breath and calm down. You will be more able to effectively deal with the accident if you have a cool head.
- Stay at the scene of the accident. There are severe penalties associated with leaving the scene of a car accident.
- Be calm and courteous, but do not apologize or admit fault to anyone even if you think the accident was due to your error.
- Call 9-1-1 to request emergency medical assistance if you, your passengers, or the occupants of the other vehicle are injured.
- Call the police to report the car crash. If the police do not arrive at the accident scene, ask for information about filing an accident report.
- Move your vehicle to a safe position away from traffic, if possible. If your car is inoperable or someone is injured, stay in your car with your seat belt and flashers on while you wait for help to arrive.
- Cooperate fully with the accident investigation and truthfully answer all questions asked by the police and your insurance company.
- Obtain contact information, driver’s license number, insurance company name and policy number, and license plate number from the other driver.
- Obtain contact information for any car crash witnesses.
- Take photos of the crash scene, if possible. Make sure to photograph the scene of the crash from a distance in addition to taking up close photographs of the damage to both vehicles.
- Sketch a picture of the accident and write down as many details about the accident as you can remember.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
The simple guidelines listed above will help you through the process of documenting the accident and reporting it to the proper authorities. After the car accident, if you need expert legal help due to medical issues, overwhelming medical bills, expensive vehicle repairs, missed work and lost income, or attempts by insurance companies to rush you into a monetary settlement, please contact a Harrisburg car accident attorney at the Pennsylvania law office of Schmidt Kramer. Call toll free at (888) 476-0807 for a free consultation.