Q: What should I do immediately after a Harrisburg car accident?
Whether you've only been in one car accident before, or you've been in several, the moments immediately following a crash are never any less surprising and terrifying. When you're out doing errands or driving to work, you aren't really expecting to get into an accident and have your entire day flipped upside down. If you are seriously injured in a car crash, your first priority is to get to a hospital to seek medical attention. However, if you are physically able to stick around at the crash scene, there's certain protocol you will need to follow:
- Call the police. Even if no one was hurt in the accident, the police always need to be notified when there has been contact between at least two vehicles. The police will evaluate the scene and complete an accident report.
- Collect information from all other people involved. The most important person or people you need information from are the other drivers who were involved in the accident. Make sure you get their full names, phone numbers, insurance information, and the license plate numbers. Aside from the other drivers, get full names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident; this could include passengers in any of the vehicles, or other drivers/pedestrians not directly involved in the crash.
- Call your insurance provider. Don't wait to do this. Call your insurance provider directly from the crash site to report the accident. They will ask for the other driver's insurance information, so make sure you get that before you call.
- Take plenty of pictures. Technology is making this part of car crashes much easier because most cellphones are outfitted with pretty decent cameras. Take pictures of anything and everything—both cars and any resulting damage, street signs, the weather/road conditions, any visible injuries you sustained. If you end up bringing your case to court, those pictures can be vital in getting you the compensation you deserve.
- Call an auto accident attorney. Harrisburg is home to Schmidt Kramer, an excellent law firm that handles car crash cases. They will be able to evaluate your accident and let you know if your case will hold up in a court of law.
Above everything else, again, take care of your health. Getting prompt medical attention can make a huge difference in the severity of your injuries.
If you have been in an auto accident, it's time to call a car crash lawyer. Camp Hill and Harrisburg residents have found great success with Schmidt Kramer. Call today for a free consultation at 888-476-0807.