Get Your FREE Case Review Today
(888) 476-0807

Hershey Man Hospitalized After Being Burned In Apartment Fire

Posted On Behalf of Schmidt Kramer Injury Lawyers on May 15, 2012 in Fire & Burn Injury

A resident of a Hershey, Pennsylvania, apartment was hospitalized Wednesday morning after a fire swept through his building. According to reports from WHTM 27 News, the accident happened at the building located on 128 Lucy Avenue, which houses the apartment, an art gallery, and an accounting office.

A spokesman for the Hershey Fire Department, Chief Pat Leonard, said rescue crews were called to the building after a food delivery person leaving the building noticed flames pouring out of an upstairs window. Before fire crews could arrive, the resident of the apartment returned from a trip to the bank and rushed into the burning building to save his dog. While the dog was unhurt, the man was taken to Penn State Hershey Medical Center for treatment. After doctors realized the man needed more care than they could offer, he was airlifted to Lehigh Valley Hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation. Investigators were able to determine that a candle left burning ignited nearby curtains and started the fire. Officials say they will examine why smoke detectors in the building did not go off.

The Fire and Burn Injury Attorneys with Schmidt Kramer Injury Lawyers specialize in helping victims of fires and would never encourage someone to go back into a burning building for any reason. It’s always safer to wait for firefighters to arrive before trying to make any attempts at a rescue.