Practice Area: Motor Vehicle Accidents, Insurance Law
Scott Cooper specializes in personal injury law with an emphasis on motor vehicle accident and insurance cases. An active member of the Pennsylvania Association for Justice (PAJ), Mr. Cooper served as its 2012-13 President. He is also Chairman of its Legislative Policy Committee and serves on both the Executive Committee and Board of Governors. Scott was recently appointed by Pennsylvania Governor-Elect Tom Wolf to Co-chair, and help lead, a Transition Team review of the Department of State/Commonwealth for the incoming Administration.
Mr. Cooper is a past President of the Pennsylvania Association for Justice (PAJ). In 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, Mr. Cooper was named by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® as one of the top 100 lawyers in the Commonwealth and was recently selected for 2015 Top Rated Lawyers in Personal Injury Law. In 2008, Mr. Cooper was honored by PAJ and awarded its prestigious Milton D. Rosenberg Award for leadership and efforts for victims’ rights. In 2005, Mr. Cooper received the Association's prestigious George F. Douglas Amicus Curiae Award for outstanding appellate advocacy. In addition, Mr. Cooper has been selected for inclusion inPennsylvania Super Lawyers® every year from 2006 to the present, including 2015, and in 2005 was a Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars. He was also voted "Reader’s Choice Attorney" by Harrisburg Magazine. In 2014 and 2015, he was named a Top Lawyer by the Central Pennsylvania Business Journal for his personal injury work on behalf of Plaintiffs. He has also been named to the Best Lawyers In America for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014.
In December 2014 he was named a "Select Lawyer" by Susquehanna Style Magazine. In March 2015 he was invited to membership in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers. In the upcoming June 2015 edition of Harrisburg Magazine he will be named a Local Legal Leader 2015 for his work in Personal Injury & Auto Accidents. He is also a member of The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, the NADC is comprised of the top one percent of the nation's attorneys.
Mr. Cooper is an editor for the leading treatise on Pennsylvania Auto Insurance released in December 2012, the Third Edition of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law, Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Insurance: An Analysis of the Financial Responsibility Law. He is also an editor of the supplements for the Third Edition which have been released in 2013 and 2014 and was also a contributing editor on the Second Edition of the treatise. Mr. Cooper has been involved in and argued many significant appellate cases in the Pennsylvania state and federal courts including: Rupert v. Liberty Mutual, Prudential v. Colbert, Mullin v. Commonwealth, Richmond v. Prudential, L.S. v. Eschbach, Ricks v. Nationwide, Wirth v. Aetna, Nott v. Aetna, Blood v. Old Guard, Sackett v. Nationwide, Everhart v. PMA, State Farm v. Rosenthal, Craley v. State Farm, Erie v. Baker, Orsag v. Farmers, Generette v. Donegal, GEICO v. Ayers, Heller v. League of Cities, Smith v. Rohrbaugh, Marlette v. State Farm, Stepanovich v. State Farm, and Bumbarger v. Peerless.
He is also the author of "The A to Z of Civil Depositions in Pennsylvania" published by PBI Press in February 2013. The text is a manual for attorneys who need assistance and ideas with handling various types of civil depositions in the Pennsylvania state and federal courts. He is also an adjunct Professor at the Harrisburg campus of Widener University School of Law where he teaches a Products Liability course.
Mr. Cooper is also a member of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association (PTLA), American Association for Justice (AAJ) and the Pennsylvania and Dauphin County Bar Associations. A frequent lecturer and author who is also involved with the community through the Harrisburg Jewish Community Center, Mr. Cooper received his J.D. from Widener University School of Law (1993) and his B.A. from the University at Albany (1990).
Bar Association Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Middle District
- United States District Court for the Eastern Court
- Federal Court of New Jersey
Awards & Accomplishments
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice (PAJ)—Member and Past President from 2012-2013
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice Legislative Policy Committee—Chairman
- Executive Committee
- Board of Governors
- Department of State/Commonwealth—Co-chair
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®—2006-Present
- "Top 100 Lawyers in the Commonwealth" - Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®—2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice Milton D. Rosenberg Award—Recipient, 2008
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice George F. Douglas Amicus Curiae Award—Recipient
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars—Recipient, 2005
- "Reader’s Choice Attorney"—Harrisburg Magazine
- 2015 Top Rated Lawyers in Personal Injury Law
- "Top Lawyer" Central Pennsylvania Business Journal—2014-2015
- Best Lawyers In America®—2012,2013 & 2014
- "Select Lawyer" Susquehanna Style Magazine—2014
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers—Member, 2015
- "Local Legal Leader 2015" Harrisburg Magazine—2015
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel—Member
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association (PTLA)—Member
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)—Member
- Pennsylvania and Dauphin County Bar Associations—Member
- University at Albany—1990
- Widener University School of Law, J.D—1993